Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary to us! How I survived the 1st year of marriage.

This coming Monday,October 4th will mark 1 year since I have been married. How time flies! As I gear up to have dinner on a cruise at Navy Pier, I think about how much I have grown and adapted to being a wife in this crazy modern world we live in.

It was difficult at first to adjust to the fact that I am no longer alone. I was so used to being by myself,making my own decisions,coming and going as I please,and so forth. When you fuse your life with someone else,it then becomes where there are two people that you have to consider when it comes to making decisions,anywhere ranging from where you are going to live,to how much money you will be spending,to who will be in and out of your life. We learned each other's quirks and habits which also takes place in the newlywed process.

Of course,one must not get lost in the marriage process. Too often do I see couples isolating themselves where they have no friends whatsoever and start to lose themselves as an individual. Sure you will be spending the most time with your lifetime partner and best friend,your husband/wife,but it definitely should not mean that you cannot have any other outside activities and other friends. Who says you have to give up yoga,hanging out with your girlfriends,or joining that charity just because you are married now?  Time apart will actually strengthen your bond with your other half believe it or not,and is healthy for your well being. We definitely do this and I am very fortunate to be married to someone that allows me to. I think that is a big bonus when seeking a mate because it is only healthy to have time apart.

With both genders in the workforce nowadays,we seek equality in our marriages as well. Yes,this means the husband should also pitch in with the housework duties such as laundry,dishwashing,etc. This is the 21st century after all. Especially with us living in a large city such as Chicago,the hustle and bustle of city life does require both parties to work together to move life right along,not only outside the home but inside the home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment